[Histonet] freezing artifact

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Tue Jun 17 14:07:29 CDT 2008

    You are freezing too slowly. Cryoprotection is not a cure-all.
Putting the tissue in a -80C freezer is bad practice. Freeze very
rapidly with dry ice or 2-methylbutane cooled with liquid nitrogen, THEN
put is a pre-cooled vial (or whatever) and put in the freezer.
    Also, immersion of a whole mouse brain will not provide good
fixation of deeper structures. You are almost certainly getting poor
morphology that looks like freezing artifact. I suggest fixing by
perfusion or slicing the brain into 5 mm sections for fixation.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.