[Histonet] uneven HE staining

Judy Collins JCollins <@t> palmbeachpath.com
Mon Jun 16 11:39:01 CDT 2008

The way it is described sounds like thick and thin sections, a cutting problem, not a staining problem.

Judy Collins

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Paula Wilder
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 12:13 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] uneven HE staining

Hi everyone!

A colleague of mine is having uneven staining problems with their automatic stainer, which I believe is a Tissue-Tek stainer.  This has been an ongoing problem.  She tells me it is only on biopsies, very intermittent.  On one slide she might have four sections; three stain evenly and one does not.  The location of the unevenly stained section is not always the same; sometimes it is the first section, sometimes the last.  Several technicians are cutting so technique has been eliminated.  They tried tracking the biopsies to see if a particular doctor's office was involved, but again, no. Does anyone have a clue or suggestion which direction should be pursued next?  We don't think it is the processing; dehydration?  I do not have their HE programmed times.

Thanks for your help,
Paula Wilder