[Histonet] Legality of work

Jackie M O'Connor Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com
Thu Jun 5 12:20:23 CDT 2008

My husband has a job with a large international corporation.  One of his
responsibilities is to make sure that third party vendor suppliers
overseas do not employ children under the age of 16.  A lot of these
factories employ peasants from farms who provide support to the entire
farm family.  They want the jobs, but this leaves them open to abuse from
Also, the working conditions have to meet US standards.  By today's
standards, children are not allowed to with or around hazardous chemicals.
  Doesn't matter what state you are in - the federal laws pretty much
cover it.   On the other side of the coin, when my own kids were younger,
I would bring them to work with me on Saturdays where they would help me
change the processor.       Yeah, but knowing now what I didn't know then
- I won't even let my granddaughter in my lab.    I even change my clothes
before I go to see her after work.   I fear the question, "Mommy, why does
Grandma smell like formaldehyde and rats?".    She's only one year old,
but you have to nip these questions in the bud.
Bottom line - why would any parent want their kids exposed to the
dangerous chemicals we work with?   But, again, I do send two of my
daughters to work every day to interact with possibly rabid animals.
As you can tell, I'm undecided on this topic.

"Bernice Frederick" <b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
06/05/2008 11:14 AM

"'Rene J Buesa'" <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>, "'Karla Arrington'"
<freckles9660 <@t> yahoo.com>, <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
cc

Subject
RE: [Histonet] Legality of work

Not to mention that 15 year olds would not even have the education to do
the
on-line program. There are requirements as we all know. Scary, scary
,scary.
Does this pathologist know the meaning of malpractice and wouldn't the AMA
be of help in this as well as ASCP?
Bernice

Bernice Frederick HTL (ASCP)
Northwestern University