[Histonet] question

Stephen Peters M.D. petepath <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 10:34:29 CDT 2008

Kathy,

  You may also want to consider the thickness of your sections. A great deal of our information is gatered at scanning magnification of 2x or 4x. If you are cutting at 3 or
  4 microns or if your cryostat is offering a variety of thick and thin the slides will
  be pale at these powers compared to 5 or 6 micron sections. Presence of a  lot of
  nuclear "holes"is a sign it is cut very thin.   Also make sure your hematoxalin is
  changed regularly and is not growing "rock candy" in the bottom. Check slide after it leaves the bluing and get to know the shade of blue that represents a well stained slide. Remember when checking the slides, the amount of blue will depend on the densityof nuclear material as well as the thickness of the tissue. I find the actual shade
  of blue tells me that it has been stained in hemotoxalin long enough.

Stephen Peters M.D.
Vice Chairman of Pathology
Hackensack University Medical Center
201 996 4836