[Histonet] Toluidine Blue and H&E

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 15:43:45 CDT 2008

I would try it first without the hematoxylin and before the eosin.
  You don't have to air dry the sections, just blot them and place them in isopropanol before going to xylene.
  Toluidin blue works better at pH 11 that you can reach with borax before dissolving the dye in it. It works also better at 50-60ºC.
  Hope this will help you.
  René J.

"Martin, Erin" <Erin.Martin <@t> ucsf.edu> wrote:
  Hi all,

My pathologist would like to do a combined toluidine blue and H&E. Has anyone ever done this? If so, would you mind sharing your procedure? I am guessing that I would have to use the toluidine blue after the eosin then air dry the slides since alcohol would take the blue out, but I am not sure if it would react with either the hematoxylin or the eosin.

Thank you for your help!

Erin Martin