[Histonet] LCM on decaled bone sections

Elizabeth M Heimrich elizabeth.heimrich <@t> bms.com
Thu Jul 17 13:01:16 CDT 2008

Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding the doability of LCM on decaled rat joint
specimens and the subsequent RNA extraction and amplification.  The rat
joints have not been harvested yet,  so there is no fixative decided
upon.  Is this a feasible procedure? Does the decalcification of the
bone destroy the RNA, or is the main issue the formaldehyde
cross-linking the proteins if using FFPE tissue.  I have queried a few
scientists around here and have received conflicting answers, so I come
to the net....hoping to resolve this issue.  Some say to dissect out the
synovium and take cryo sections because the Formaldehyde will interfere
with the RNA signal.  Others say that the problem resides with the decal
procedure itself.  Any and all thoughts welcome.
Thank you,
Beth