[Histonet] Re: H&E quality check. .

Michael Mihalik mike <@t> pathview.com
Mon Jul 7 15:47:31 CDT 2008

I appreciate the response.  Let me ask this question another way.  Is there
anybody who currently logs their histo QC in their computer system, not on
paper, not on some department created excel spreadsheet?

Would this not be desirable?

Michael Mihalik
PathView Systems | office: 207.483.0968 | cell: 214.733.7688 | 800.798.3540
| fax: 270.423.0968

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry, Charlene [mailto:Charlene.Henry <@t> STJUDE.ORG]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 4:14 PM
To: 'Michael Mihalik'; 'Robert Richmond'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Re: H&E quality check. .

Michael,
Actually it is now a CAP requirement.

ANP.11713 Is there documented evidence of daily review of the technical
quality of histologic preparations by the pathologist.

This is the way we address this question.
Each morning while we are cutting surgical and bone marrow biopsies, we
randomly select 2-3 blocks and cut a QC H&E slide in addition to the routine
cuts. They are stained along the routine cases and these are given to our
Director of AP for review. She then documents the quality of fixation,
processing, cutting and staining on a log. While she is on vacation one of
our other pathologists review the slides. When the log sheet is full, it is
returned to me and filed with our QC records.

Charlene Henry HT (ASCP), QIHC
Anatomic Pathology Section Head
Department of Pathology
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital