[Histonet] plastic sectioning for light microscopy-HELP!! (H&E staining)

Akemi Allison-Tacha akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 15:42:22 CST 2008

Hi Again,
Sorry, I forgot our method for H&E's.  Generally
speaking, people would use Gills hematoxylin and Eosin
or eosin/phloxine.  Our pathologists didn't like the
look of Gills III.  In 1980, after doing extensive
R&D, a light when on in my brain.  Our nuclear
staining on our GMA PAS's were beautiful.  We oxidized
in 10% periodic acid for 10 minutes for PAS.  So, I
tried doing the same with the H&E's on GMA's.  The
pathologists loved the results and said it looked like
a regular H&E.

I gave several workshops on this subject regarding GMA
H&E's and special stain,s but I can't find my hand-out
material.  Sorry, it was back in the 80's.

Here is the procedure from the cobwebs of my brain:

1. After adhering section to slide, place GMA slide
directly into 10% Periodic Acid for 10 minutes.
2. Rinse in tap water for 1-2 minutes.
3. Place in Harris Hematoxylin for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Rinse in tap water.
5. Quickly dip in 0.5% acid alcohol.
6. Rinse in tap water.
7. Blue in freshly prepared ammonia water.
8. Rinse in tap water for 10 minutes.
9. Counterstain in Eosin/Phloxine for desired length
of time.  You can start with  1-2 minutes.
10. Dehydrate through graded alcohols quickly.
11. Clear and coverslip.

Hope this helps.

Akemi Allison-Tacha BS, HT (ASCP) HTL
Client Services Manager