[Histonet] Not negative

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Thu Jan 17 02:51:20 CST 2008

I think we had a discussion last week about Pathologists reporting
negative slides; interestingly there's a television news story that just
broken about a Welsh Pathologist wrongly reporting biopsies. I gather
there are a number of biopsies that were initially reported as negative
in which the Patients subsequently developed cancer; or that's what I
think the story said.

This Pathologists work over a number of years is to be reviewed; reminds
me of the bad years in Cytology. Abnormal slides are peer reviewed but
not 'negative' ones which is odd; if you diagnosed something then the
Patient will be treated (or further investigated which might flag up
errors), if you call something negative then the Patient may have no
treatment unless the symptoms remain and further tests reveal the
abnormality. How gold is the gold standard of tissue diagnosis?

Kemlo Rogerson
Pathology Manager
DD   01934 647057 or extension 3311
Mob 07749 754194; Pager 07659 597107;
Don't be afraid to take a big step when one is indicated. You can't
cross a chasm in two small jumps. --Buckminster Fuller

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on
its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it.
Thank you for your co-operation