[Histonet] RE: Nuclear staining on prostate biopsies

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> Stowers-Institute.org
Wed Jan 16 12:56:20 CST 2008

Laurie, contact the operating room (or doctor's office) staff and ask
them how the samples are handled when they are released from the biopsy
gun. My guess is they are put on dry gauze and some air drying is taking
place prior to being fixed. Or they are placed in some other medium
besides fixative immediately. Many times the damage is already done
before we ever receive the specimen. It's just a guess on my part, but
mostly I think it's because all the other tissue types look good with
your processing and staining times.

Good luck!

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Managing Director Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research
1000 E. 50th St.
Kansas City, MO 64110

>>Laurie wrote: I would like to optimize the quality of our stain.  We
process office biopsies, a good variety of tissue types.

The stain is consistently very good. There are three colors of Eosin,
and good nuclear detail on most tissue types, except for the prostate
cores.

The nuclei are stained dark and are "flat" having no depth.

I am thinking that it is not the fixation, because our Monday specimens
that are held over a full day are no different than those throughout the
week.

Any suggestions before I start reprogramming the stainer?

Laurie Elmgren

Histology Supervisor

Sunrise Medical Labs

240 Motor Pkwy