[Histonet] Nuclear Staining on Prostate Biopsies

Laurie Colbert laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com
Wed Jan 16 12:17:30 CST 2008

One of the biggest problems that we encounter is that the prostate
biopsies are drying out at the office before they get put into the
formalin.  One office in particular places the specimens on gauze before
they go into formalin.  I think they obtain all of the specimens and
then put them all into the bottles of formalin last.  We get bad
staining, crunchy, dry specimens, etc.  If you are having problems with
a particular office, talk to them and make sure the tissue is going into
formalin immediately after it is removed from the patient.

Laurie Colbert

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Laurie
Elmgren
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:43 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Nuclear Staining on Prostate Biopsies

I would like to optimize the quality of our stain.  We process office
biopsies, a good variety of tissue types.

The stain is consistently very good. There are three colors of Eosin,
and good nuclear detail on most tissue types, except for the prostate
cores.

The nuclei are stained dark and are "flat" having no depth.

I am thinking that it is not the fixation, because our Monday specimens
that are held over a full day are no different than those throughout the
week.

Any suggestions before I start reprogramming the stainer?

Laurie Elmgren

Histology Supervisor

Sunrise Medical Labs

240 Motor Pkwy