[Histonet] Tissue marking dyes and IHC

Truscott, Tom ttruscot <@t> vetmed.wsu.edu
Thu Jan 10 17:34:33 CST 2008

Hi Judi, I have not tested the hypothesis, but I worked for a
pathologist who would not let us use anything but black India ink on any
tissue that was to be tested with ER/PR IHC because plant dyes may
contain their own estrogens. Tom Truscott USDA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Ford,
Judi
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 3:19 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Tissue marking dyes and IHC

Hi all,

I was just curious to find out if tissue marked with either hematoxylin
and/or eosin, or tissue marking dyes, can that affect future IHC and/or
immunofluorescent staining? We have a situation where a right and left
piece of tissue will be embedded on one block and we want to distinguish
the two pieces. They are very small DRG's which can get lost once
embedded. One thought was to use dyes to mark them, but I was concerned
about the possibility of interference with immuno staining.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks soooo much!

Judi Ford, BA, HTL(ASCP)
Research Associate III