[Histonet] Embedding E18.5 mouse embryos for vibrating microtome sectioning

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> Stowers-Institute.org
Thu Jan 3 16:13:03 CST 2008

I have some formalin fixed E18.5 mouse embryos I need to do vibrating
microtome (VT-1000S) sectioning at 200 microns thickness. I'm having a
devil of a time getting proper support using 4% agarose. Can someone
give me some advice on what else to try, perhaps using a gelatin (?%)
post-fixed in formalin would provide better support? Those guys have
very tough and waterproof skin, and solutions don't penetrate it well. I
have bisected them and will start sectioning the cut surface first.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Managing Director Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research