[Histonet] hb crystals

Jim Manavis jim.manavis <@t> imvs.sa.gov.au
Wed Feb 27 20:41:10 CST 2008

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am a PhD student studying intracerebral haemorrhage in the rat and have
found numerous crystals contained within the haemorrhage, which I presume
are haemoglobin crystals, although it would be nice to demonstrate this.
Pearl's stain doesn't work, presumably because the iron is ferrous and bound
tightly, and Lillie's method with ferricyanide and HCL likewise doesn't
work, presumably because the iron is bound. Our standard DAB technique for
immunohistochemistry doesn't seem to react either. How might I best
determine whether or not the crystals are haemoglobin crystals?

Yours Sincerely,

Tim Kleinig