[Histonet] saturated picric acid

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Thu Feb 21 10:23:18 CST 2008

I make saturated aqueous picric acid by adding 1.5 g wet picric acid to 100 ml distilled water and stirring overnight.  This is an excess of ~0.1 g.  Note that picric acid is shipped wet and absolutely must stay wet.  Dry picric acid is very, very dangerous!

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences
    Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida  33161

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Ryan Dominique Salazar
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:38 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] saturated picric acid

Hi histopeeps,

Please provide a procedure on how to saturate picric acid using the raw chemical picric acid.
We just happen to have this raw picric acid in our stock and we'll try to use it for bouin's solution, though we procure saturated picric acid when we prepare the fixative.

Thank you very much for any info.

Ryan Dominique T. Salazar, RMT, AMT
Maccine Pte Ltd, Singapore