[Histonet] saturated picric acid

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 09:34:38 CST 2008

Ryan:
  Picric acid solubility is 0.7% (g/mL of distilled water) so any amount above that will make an oversaturated solution. Most recipes recommend 1.2 to 1.4 g/100 mL of DW
  You should have always some amount of undissolved picric acid in the bottom of your stock (oversaturated) solution and use the supernatant to assure a saturated solution always.
  Additionally you should NEVER have dried picric acid on your shelf because it can explote. ALWAYS add water to your "pure" picric acid to avoid ignition or explosion to shock.
  René J.

Ryan Dominique Salazar <rydomsal <@t> yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hi histopeeps,

Please provide a procedure on how to saturate picric acid using the raw chemical picric acid.
We just happen to have this raw picric acid in our stock and we'll try to use it for bouin's solution, though we procure saturated picric acid when we prepare the fixative.

Thank you very much for any info.

Ryan Dominique T. Salazar, RMT, AMT
Maccine Pte Ltd, Singapore