[Histonet] Lac Z gene and GFP

Mary Ascenzi maa8 <@t> cornell.edu
Thu Feb 14 12:40:29 CST 2008

Hello all
We are going to inject a plasmid along with a reporter gene into muscle.
The plasmid that is transfected and its expression is detected after a few
days by identifying the protein coded by the reporter gene.  One of the
reporter genes that will be used is the Lac Z gene (beta-galactosidase) and
it is identified using X-gal
(5-bromo-4-chloro-3-indoyl-beta-D-galactopyranosdie).  The other is Green
Fluorescent Protein (GFP) which is identified by fluorescence microscopy.

What we need are methods to detect Lac Z and GFP in muscle tissue after the
transfections. Which kits have worked for you?

Thanks in advance,
Mary Ascenzi