[Histonet] PAS w/wout Diastase liver controls

Caldwell, Lia Lia.Caldwell <@t> TriadHospitals.com
Wed Feb 13 18:24:13 CST 2008

Hey all,
Just wondering if I could pick your brains about the inconsistency of the PAS with and without Diastase method on liver controls.  We cut several unstained slides on our liver patient panels, and if they happen to have a positive reaction, we will keep the unstained slides to use as future controls.  We also have a liver control that was once very good for this method.   We have noticed that, after time, the PAS reaction weakens on the PAS w/out D on both controls. Our results are not consistent regardless if you use saliva or Diastase of Malt & buffer.  Sometimes the patient's stain is better than the control that was beautiful weeks before.  Can this be attributed to the continual breakdown of glycogen in the liver even after processing?  Does anyone have solid research to indicate tissue/substance degeneration long after processing?  Any information would help.  Thank you!
~Lia

Lia M. Caldwell HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Oro Valley Pathology Dept.