[Histonet] FISH/ISH on Archival slides

Janice Mahoney jmahoney <@t> alegent.org
Mon Feb 4 12:35:49 CST 2008

Acetone removes tape coverfilm.  It should only take a few minutes.
Jan Mahoney
Alegent Health
Omaha

>>> Angela McNabola <angela.mcnabola <@t> ikonisys.com> 02/04/2008 12:19 PM

Hi all,

I'm a "former" histotech performing FISH on cytology samples
(primarily
cervical).  I have been given archival slides, 2-7 years old, that
have
been Pap stained.  As you can imagine, they are not necessarily
optimal
samples.  Some are even coverslipped with the "tape" method, and it is
taking days to soak it off.

I have tried a few variations of destaining, but the problem is that
I'm
not getting any FISH signals at all.  Basically we are using a 7
centromere or 11q (commercially obtained).  Does anybody have any
insight, thoughts, or ideas on how to get this to work?

Thanks!

Angela

Angela McNabola, MS HT(ASCP)SLS, QIHC

Research Scientist