[Histonet] Slide drying

Anthony Reilly Tony_Reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au
Mon Dec 22 17:58:00 CST 2008

Hi Erin

While the request from your pathologists seems unreasonable from my experience the following steps will give the best results.  Use a rapid drying mountant many of which are on the market.  Consult your local suppliers.  Dry in an incubator as you have been doing but when you remove from the incubator allow the slides to cool before filing or even sorting into piles.  The mountant may be dry but the heat will make it sticky gluing the slides together.  Just think of new bitumen on a very hot day.

All the best.

Tony Reilly

Chief Scientist
Anatomical Pathology
Pathology Queensland
Level 1, Building 15
Princess Alexandra Hospital
Ipswich Rd,
Woolloongabba Q 4102
Australia
Ph: 07 32402412
Fax:07 32402930
tony_reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au

>>> "Martin, Erin" <Erin.Martin <@t> ucsf.edu> 23/12/2008 5:06 am >>>
Hello everyone,

I was asked to find out how to dry slides quickly.  They are glass coverslipped in an automated coverslipper at the reference lab we use and the our docs want them filed in less than 12 hours from the time they are coverslipped.   We have been putting them in a 125 degree C convection oven for a few hours but the slides still get all stuck together in the file.  They will not consider film coverslipping.

Does anyone else file this quickly?  I am grateful for any suggestions!

Erin Martin UCSF Dermatopathology

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality is not waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/received in error.
Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this email is strictly prohibited.  The information contained in this email, including any attachment sent with it, may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.
If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone collect on Australia +61 1800 198 175 or by return email.  You should also delete this email, and any copies, from your computer system network and destroy any hard copies produced.
If not an intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute or take any action(s) that relies on it; any form of disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email is also prohibited.
Although Queensland Health takes all reasonable steps to ensure this email does not contain malicious software, Queensland Health does not accept responsibility for the consequences if any person's computer inadvertently suffers any disruption to services, loss of information, harm or is infected with a virus, other malicious computer programme or code that may occur as a consequence of receiving this email.
Unless stated otherwise, this email represents only the views of the sender and not the views of the Queensland Government.