[Histonet] Isopentane

Peggy Bisher mbisher <@t> Princeton.EDU
Wed Dec 17 12:49:50 CST 2008

Liquid nitrogen (-196C) and nitrogen slush (-207) are the coldest cryogens
used, but they have the slowest freezing rates. The most effective cryogens
are those that are those that stay a liquid when cooled almost to the
temperature of liquid nitrogen.

Propane (-189.6C mp) or Ethane (183.5C mp) is the cryogen of choice that we
use for cryo electron microscopy.

Margaret E. Bisher
Electron Microscopy & Histology Core Facility Manager
Department of Molecular Biology
Princeton University
Moffett Laboratory, Room 113
Princeton, New Jersey