[Histonet] de-waxing / staining station question

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 15:21:54 CST 2008

Anna:
Neither Gill's hematoxylin not alcoholic eosin need to be used or stored in a fume hood.
As for the elimination of 2 xylene stations for dewaxing, IF you are going to dewax with xylene, that is not a good idea.
A better idea though would be to eliminate xylene altogether; use instead a 2% aqueous diswasher soap solution at 90ºC (2 stations), followed by 2 tap water stations at 90ºC and one tap water station at 45ºC and a final wash with distilled water. Stain as usual.<René J.

--- On Wed, 12/10/08, Anna K. Schultz <as3323 <@t> columbia.edu> wrote:

From: Anna K. Schultz <as3323 <@t> columbia.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] de-waxing / staining station question
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 3:12 PM

Hi all,
 In an effort to reduce space usage, it has been suggested that I eliminate one
of two xylene steps (and lengthen the time in the remaining xylene) when
de-waxing paraffin sections.  I do not see any protocols that only use one step
of xylene.  Are two strictly necessary?  I would like to know the reasoning.
 Also, do gill hematoxylins and alcoholic eosin need to be used and stored
under a hood?  I've read the MSDS but it wasn't entirely clear if they
should just be used with caution or strictly under the hood.  They are in
staining buckets with lids (the lids are sometimes leaky).
 I thought I would seek some advice here.
Thanks,
Anna
basic science research core tech