[Histonet] Alias identity

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Mon Dec 8 17:43:51 CST 2008

While I prefer to go by my own name, I recognize that some people rightly fear to do so. An anonymous source may still have something worthwhile to say.  Experience does not always teach well.  The wise and experienced Linus Pauling and Erwin Chargaff were wrong about the structure of DNA; the brash young James Watson was right.
-Allen A. Smith
Professor of Anatomy
School of Podiatric Medicine
Barry University
Miami Shores, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of John Kiernan
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 3:18 PM
To: Amber McKenzie
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Alias identity

Amber McKenzie <amber.mckenzie <@t> gastrodocs.net> wrote:
> . . .We are all supposed to be professionals asking each other for
> advice/suggestions on the Histonet - who cares who each person is?  If
> I post a question, I don't care if it's Jane Doe answering or John
> Smith ...

That's true, and it certainly makes no difference if the person asking a question hides behind an alias. But what about the person answering? Can you act upon advice from an unknown source? Jane Doe might be experienced and wise, whereas John Smith might be some pimply youth who only thinks he knows all the answers.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada
= = =