[Histonet] IHC on paraformaldehyde-fixed

Reuel Cornelia Reuel.Cornelia <@t> tsrh.org
Fri Dec 5 10:08:46 CST 2008

I have been curious about this discussion. we used 4% paraformaldehyde
for smaller biopsies only because it has a faster penetration to tissue
than 10% formalin. In all my IHC that I have done. I observe that doing
an IHC with 4% paraformaldehyde does not necessarily need  antigen
retrieval  in comparison to 10% formalin either it will be human or
animal tissue but this depends on how long was it fix, our 4%
paraformaldehyde we fix smaller biopsies like nerve,muscle, skin for 6
to 12 hrs. and for formalin it is 12 to 48 hours or more. Maybe you can
comment on the effect on this to tissue if you say you will use 4%
paraformaldehyde for storage and transportation.

Reuel Cornelia, BS MT, AMT
Cellular Pathology
Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children
2222 Welborn Street
Dallas, TX 75219
Tel: 214-559-7766
fax: 214-559-7768