[Histonet] Embedding paraffin blocks

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 13:38:08 CST 2008

I have recently researched some workload and task analysis in the histo lab related to embedding. I found some good ideas are available to NSH members on their website. True statistics seem to be scarce, but I have seen in a few presentations on increasing standardization and efficiency citing numbers for embedding of 35-50 blocks/hour as an average. I think that I have posted a factor of 0.66-0.69/ block in the past, which correlates to 40/hour. I feel that that time needed for each specimen will vary with tissue type, wrapping methods( papers, sponges etc), and skill level. I think that there is more time involved with embedding skins, biopsies, and "complex" specimens, rather than large, flat pieces.
Most labs I have seen, just figure the amount as a miniumum expectation to be an average based on a mix of easy and difficult specimens to embed. I agree that it is good to do some time studies on your own personnel and lab workflow, and then set a minimum with an emphasis of not exchanging speed for quality. I think that the task analysis must be correlated with technical proficiency and quality. However, I know that the numbers above are easy to meet with some experience and practice in any clinical/routine histology lab with paraffin embedding. Joelle Weaver HTL (ASCP)