[Histonet] Alias identity

Susan Bachus susanbachus <@t> verizon.net
Wed Dec 3 22:17:48 CST 2008

Here's one potential problem with listing real names:  a few years ago a
very diligent student of mine inadvertently stirred up a lot of controversy
when she asked for advice from Histonet on a class assigment and someone was
concerned that she was "cheating".   I had in fact recommended Histonet as a
resource to them (though I didn't intend for them to use it for something so
trivial)!   One silver lining was that a lot of discussion was aired about
what the purpose of Histonet is and several people sprang to the poor
student's defense.  But later she googled herself when she started worrying
about looking for a job and this popped up because she had used her full
name, and she was terrified that it would interfere with her finding a job!
She wanted to know if it could be taken out of the archives, but of course
the problem is that these things are still "cached"!   Susan
----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles.Embrey" <Charles.Embrey <@t> carle.com>
To: "Amber McKenzie" <amber.mckenzie <@t> gastrodocs.net>;
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 1:30 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Alias identity

This is one problem you have with an open list.  I also belong to the
Pathologists' Assistants list server but you must apply for membership
that is restricted to AAPA members only.  We can be more open with
comments and questions without worry of unwanted calls from vendors or
junk mail from the growing number of recruiters.  Of course anything on
the web can be accessed if you search hard enough but we don't have
companies monitoring everything we say.  I would be careful to "assume
that if we're on this list that we're all credible, knowledge and
professionals".  Over ten years on the list has taught me otherwise.  I
must admit that I always consider the source.  It is sad that some do
have to hide their identity but I do understand why they find it
necessary and support their choice.

Chuck