[Histonet] RE: Flame substitute for embedding

Bernice Frederick b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu
Wed Dec 3 11:48:12 CST 2008

We have a Shandon Paratrimmer, which melts the wax not only off blocks but
does a good job of keeping those forceps clean and hot.
We have a bacti-incinerator, but know we can get a tall flame if we leave
the paraffin coated forceps in there!!
Bernice

Bernice Frederick HTL (ASCP)
Northwestern University
Pathology Core Facility
ECOGPCO-RL
710 N Fairbanks Court
Olson 8-421
Chicago,IL 60611
312-503-3723

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jacqueline
Farnsworth
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 9:44 AM
To: Celebre Julia; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Flame substitute for embedding

We also used to have an open flame while embedding!  Now, we simply have a
policy in place where after EACH cassette is embedded, the Techs MUST
thoroughly wipe their forceps with disposable Kleenex (and then dispose of
it!). Also, we use toothless forceps as much as possible to reduce the
possibility of cross contamination.

Jacqueline Farnsworth
Anatomic Pathology, Tech III
Foothills Medical Centre