[Histonet] Expiration date checks

CLAIRE ANN KENTLER cabramley <@t> students.latrobe.edu.au
Tue Dec 2 18:12:32 CST 2008

Hi All,

Whilst we're on the subject, we're currently trying to troubleshoot an
ELISA assay...  This may be a silly question, but does anyone know if
(or when) Sodium Bicarbonate loses its buffering capacity?  (I.e. does
it expire?)

Thanks,
Claire

***************************************
Claire Kentler
Bachelor of Animal Science (Hons)
Postgraduate Student
Department of Agricultural Sciences
La Trobe University
Phone: 9479 1048
E-mail: cabramley <@t> students.latrobe.edu.au

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rande
Kline
Sent: Wednesday, 3 December 2008 2:18 AM
To: Weber, Susan (VHACLE)
Cc: histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Expiration date checks

Patty,

Chemicals really don't last forever.  Changes take place everytime you
open the bottle and some just from age even unopened.  Salts used in
buffers are hygroscopic.  They may appear to look okay but they may not
be for your application.  How long you can use a chemical is dependent
on it's application.  I think everyone has experienced a solution not
working even though you have followed the correct procedure and a repeat
has the same outcome.

I have wrote a couple of articles a few years back that appeared in
Laboratory Medicine Q&A and Microscopy Today on expiration dating of
chemicals.  The article in Microscopy Today is a little more indepth. I
would not mind faxing you a copy.  You may want to dig into   more than
the
dot system.  I would also suggest disposing chemicals that you may not
know the actual age of, if they exist.

--
Rande Kline, HT (ASCP)
Histopathology Lab Concepts