[Histonet] Expiration date checks

Rande Kline randek <@t> histopathconcepts.com
Tue Dec 2 09:18:29 CST 2008

Patty,

Chemicals really don't last forever.  Changes take place everytime you open
the bottle and some just from age even unopened.  Salts used in buffers are
hygroscopic.  They may appear to look okay but they may not be for your
application.  How long you can use a chemical is dependent on it's
application.  I think everyone has experienced a solution not working even
though you have followed the correct procedure and a repeat has the same
outcome.

I have wrote a couple of articles a few years back that appeared in
Laboratory Medicine Q&A and Microscopy Today on expiration dating of
chemicals.  The article in Microscopy Today is a little more indepth. I
would not mind faxing you a copy.  You may want to dig into   more than the
dot system.  I would also suggest disposing chemicals that you may not know
the actual age of, if they exist.

--
Rande Kline, HT (ASCP)
Histopathology Lab Concepts