[Histonet] Question RE: HQIP Result

Burnette, Phyllis Phyllis_Burnette <@t> bshsi.org
Tue Dec 2 10:54:13 CST 2008

When responding about the primary fixative being alcohol, I was also referencing HQIP Participant Summary from 2007 which states "Cell shrinkage and nuclear bubbling, artifacts induced by aggressive processing schedules with resulting primary fixation largely in alcohols". (It's weird, I do actually read these things!) I know for us this was endometrial tissue/ small biopsies that was evaluated and the infiltration of fixative was not long enough (even core breast bx's are now recommended to be included in the no less than 6 hour fixative time frame for Her2 testing). So looking at your fixation processing times may be of help. This is just what has helped the quality of our tissue sections in our lab as we tend to rush these small biopsies through.  Fyi,  Phyllis

I do have a question though, now that I'm on the subject of the HQIP surveys.  Did anyone read the comment on the AFB staining from HQIP-B 2007 final critique pg. 18??  I keep waiting for some further feed back about IHC for AFB.  They mention IHC sensitivity is 74%-100% whereas the traditional special is only 36%-44% (they made it sound like labs are doing this IHC routinely).  Their reference is to the Indian Journal of Tuberculosis.  I have called all of our major vendors and they are not aware of a monoclonal antibody to 38k da protein of mycobacterium tuberculosis complex.  I just don't understand why CAP would recommend something that I cannot find readily available on the market. Any comments??

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gudrun Lang
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 10:57 AM
To: schaundrawalton <@t> yahoo.com
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: AW: [Histonet] Question RE: HQIP Result

Schaundra,
In the following publication Fox describes bubbles that occur in cultered cells after 5-30 min after the addition of formaldehyd solution.
Fox Cecil H ua., Formaldehyd Fixation; J. of. Histochemistry and Cytochemistry 33(8):845-853, 1985

So bubbles could be a sign of very short fixation.
Gudrun Lang