[Histonet] isopropyl

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Aug 29 15:31:38 CDT 2008

It is an alcohol with three carbons, with a higher molecular weight (30% more) and with the alcohol group in the center carbon, slightly less miscible in water so less hydrophylic (dehydrates more slowly), but regardless of all this, if it works better for you, use it.
René J.

--- On Fri, 8/29/08, Laura E Wright <lwright1 <@t> uab.edu> wrote:

From: Laura E Wright <lwright1 <@t> uab.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] isopropyl
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Friday, August 29, 2008, 4:01 PM

Hi, all!  This is probably a very simple question, but can anyone tell
me why isopropyl hardens tissues less than ethanol?  I'm debating about
which alcohol to use to process some invertebrate marine animal tissues.
I've had problems with these tissues being to hard in the past.  Any
help is greatly appreciated!

L. Wright
Birmingham, AL