[Histonet] tissue container disposal

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 10:32:06 CDT 2008

The formalin in the used containers have to be emptied in the large container for formalin to be removed by a specialized contractor.
The containers can be either incinerated (if plastic) or given to the same contractor for disposal. A used container cannot be disposed off with the formalin inside.
There are some variations by state and hospital.
René J.

--- On Tue, 8/19/08, sotiris lakis <sotlak <@t> yahoo.gr> wrote:

From: sotiris lakis <sotlak <@t> yahoo.gr>
Subject: [Histonet] tissue container disposal
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 11:01 AM

Hello everybody,

I know disposal policies might differ between countries but we seem to be
facing a dead end concerning used empty tissue containers with formaldehyde
remnants. We are provided with a toxic waste container for liquids and special
bags for biohazardous material. There seems to be some confusion among
colleagues so I would appreciate it if someone could give us an idea about the
best way to solve the problem.

Thanks
S. Lakis
Resident in Pathology