[Histonet] Murine leukocytes on paraffin?

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Fri Aug 15 10:05:39 CDT 2008

CD4 and CD8 will never work on Paraformaldehyde fixed, paraffin embedded
murinE tissue no matter what retrieval OR enzyme digestion you try.  Sad,
but true!

Macrophage antibody, F4/80 will work with retrieval (in histonet archives
several times) and I am not sure about B220.   We only do frozen sections on
fresh snap frozen tissues, fixed with 25% absolute ethanol/75% acetone, a RT
fixation on thoroughly air dried frozen sections (overnight).  If you want
to stain adjacent sections for CD4, CD8, F4/80, and B220 - then you would
have to do cryotomy.  Only one of these four antibodies will work on FFPE or
PFAF-PE murine tissue.

Serotec has a good range of murine monoclonals, but we purchase most of our
murine antibodies from eBioscience or Invitrogen (BD Pharmingen).

There is a non-aldehyde fixative you can purchase from BD Pharmingen i.e.
Invitrogen that they call zinc fixative. It is FREE of  formalin and
paraformaldehyde, you can make it up yourself.  We refer to this formalin
free fixative as Zinc TRIS.   You can go J Histochemistry and Cytochemistry,
for a publication by Jay Beckstead.   He developed this fixative for human
lymphoma CD marker staining and it was then published for use with rodent
tissue H. Nitta et al, in a now defunct journal called  Cell Vision.
Whatever you do, do NOT confuse Zinc TRIS buffer as zinc formalin as the
latter will not work.

This fixative was recently discussed on Histonet (last month).  If you go to
the archives you can probably pick up the recipe and further discussion.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)