[Histonet] filtering methods

Bruce Abaloz brucea <@t> unimelb.edu.au
Mon Aug 11 23:57:52 CDT 2008

Hi Debra,
We use 'Biopsy pads' which are a blue sponge material (also come in
green but we find blue shows the tiniest bits best) that will hold
the tiniest of tissue Bx's (you can also 'colour' your specimen with
Eosin so it can be seen easier). Be SURE to source a sponge/pad, that
has a very fine sponge as some we trialled were quite
'porous'/allowed tiny bits to move into the sponge. Place tissue on
bottom layer then cover with another pad & close your cassette. Dip
into 70% ETOH before you drop into formalin/fixative as sponges are
'hydrophobic' until they have been wetted with ETOH.
Process as usual, remove from paraffin, open cassette & 'voila' -
there is the Bx.- safe'n'sound!

--
BRUCE ABALOZ
Histology Facility Manager
The University of Melbourne
Department of Zoology
Victoria. AUSTRALIA 3010
Ph:  (03) 83446282
Fax:(03) 83447909
Email: brucea <@t> unimelb.edu.au
               Please BCC my email address in ALL group emails for
privacy and spam issues. Thank you.
                  Nobody Can Make You Feel Inferior Without YOUR
Permission - Eleanor Roosevelt
                                      WHETHER YOU THINK YOU CAN-OR
WHETHER YOU THINK YOU CAN'T -  YOU'RE RIGHT.
                                  P Please consider the environment
before printing this email note.
This email and any attachments may contain personal information or
information that is otherwise privileged, confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure/subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure
or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not
warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or
defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before
opening them. If this email is received in error please delete it and
notify us by return email. The University does not necessarily share
or endorse the views expressed in this email.