[Histonet] protein block

Sally Price sprice2003 <@t> gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 12:24:45 CDT 2008

Gene:
What you've decribed is not, in my expericence, that uncommon.  It all
depends on the blocking agent your using -- some protein blocks are made
from casein or digested immunoglobulin (e.g  Fab2 fargments), some are made
with only animal serum, and others are combinations of these materials -- If
the reagent you're using is made with animal serum, for example, the
backgroud could be caused by the blocking agent sticking to endogenous
immunoglobulins with the specimen.  At least this is one possibility, and
the only way to confirm/resolve this issue is to try a differnt type of
protein blocker.
Cheers,
Sally

------------------------------

Message: 16
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 05:49:59 -0400
From: njoydobro <@t> aol.com
Subject: [Histonet] protein block
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

Good Morning everyone,
???? We are currently working up a new antibody and are trying it with and
without protein block.? We are getting some unexpected results and I would
like to see if anyone has seen similar outcomes.? We are getting less
background without the protein block and the staining appears "crisper".?
Anyone experienced this?
Thanks,
Gene