[Histonet] Re: crystal violet for amyloid

Robert Richmond RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Wed Aug 6 10:47:14 CDT 2008

Beth Allen is >>trying to find a procedure for staining fresh muscle
tissue for crystal violet to demonstrate amyloid.<<

I think there's a procedure in Lee Luna's 1968 AFIP manual. I haven't
seen one of these stains in forty years.

Mounting this stain is difficult - resin and glycerol jelly lose the
metachromatic staining, and the stain must be mounted in sugar syrup
(traditionally Karo (tm) syrup), and examined within a day of
preparation. Photography is difficult.

This is an obsolete amyloid stain. Congo red or one of the newer
direct dyes would be preferable. Possibly the fluorescent stain
Thioflavin T (probably also obsolete) would be a closer equivalent of
crystal violet.

Lotsa luck!

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist