[Histonet] paraffin mouse femur peroist detaching from slide

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Mon Apr 28 12:30:30 CDT 2008

Mesru,

Do you mean the dense cortical bone that surrounds the bone marrow?  The
periosteum is a connective tissue that lines the outside surfaces of
cortical bone, next to muscles.   You may have over-dried the sections in
the oven.  A good way to dry decalcified, paraffin embedded bone sections is
pick up on superfrost Plus charge slides, drain for a short time in the
vertical position, then lay slides FLAT on a 37C to 40C slide warmer, and
dry overnight.   A 37C oven is fine as long as the slides are flat and no on
edge.  Metal slide trays help.   Longer drying is even better -  we let our
decalcified bone sections dry for several days.  I have one bonehead friend
who would not do any staining for two weeks, let her bone sections dry flat
that long.  56C may be a bit too hot, and dries out the bone and cartilage
even more after the processing., contributing to tissue liftoff.

What kind of retrieval did you use?  If the retrieval has any kind of
mechanical manipulation of the section, then it may fall off e.g. boiling
buffers in a microwave.  Decalcified bone sections need gentle handling,
through deparaffinization, rehydration and all other steps for IHC, in
particular any HIER before doing the staining. I am familiar with how the
Ventana machine dispenses reagents but if not gentle enough,  this could be
a mechanical stress on the bone section.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)
Bozeman MT 59715

We have more section lift