[Histonet] commercial antibody diluents w/ surfactants

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Fri Apr 18 13:11:00 CDT 2008

Question:  are you planning to do immunofluorescent staining even though you
are now doing only enzyme immunohistochemistry with these reagents?

The size of the fluorophore molecules is not a factor but there are some
other considerations when doing IF.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP0
Bozeman MT 59715

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brianna Mbow" <bmbow <@t> seagen.com>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 11:47 AM
Subject: [Histonet] commercial antibody diluents w/ surfactants

Hello,

In my previous position, I prepared all my own antibody solutions for
fluorescent staining myself with varying levels of blocking serum and
triton-x for
permeabilization.

I'm now working in a lab that uses commercial antibody diluents and an
autostainer with its
own washing solution.  Both the diluent and wash solution contain
surfactant, but the concentration is
not listed.  I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the amount is sufficient
for permeabilization in
fluorescent staining.  So far in the lab we have only really been doing IHC
and they have never added triton-x to
their solutions.  Also, out of general curiosity, is there a reason for
needing more permeabilization in IF
compared to IHC staining?  Is it because of the size of fluorophore
molecules?  Any ideas would be much
appreciated.

Thank you,

Brianna Mbow