[Histonet] IHC Staining Variations

Jan Shivers shive003 <@t> umn.edu
Thu Apr 17 15:08:44 CDT 2008

Occasionally in the past I'd have a problem with slides drying out while on
the stainer.  Suggestions:

1)  Make sure that your stainer is level, especially the slide racks inside,
if they are used in your type of machine.
2)  Dilute your antibodies with a diluent which has protein stabilizers in
it; the Ab/diluent won't dry out as fast.  (I switched to Dako Antibody
Diluent from my own in-house TBS buffer, but I'm sure there are other
commercial products out there as well.).
3)  Add 2% normal serum to your linking Ab (same species as your protein
block prior to the primary antibody); this has several uses, but one is that
the linking Ab won't dry out as fast.
4)  Try reducing your incubation times, if possible.
5)  Hydrophobic elements in tissue will tend to 'push' water off of the
tissue, so some specific tissues are just more likely to dry out faster.  If
it's at all possible with your staining set-up, you could try adding
additional reagent drops by hand (at the correct step, of course) when you
notice a slide drying out in your machine.

Jan Shivers
Senior Scientist
Histology/IHC/EM Section Head
University of Minnesota