[Histonet] Snap Freezing of Lymph Nodes for RNA testing

Meredith Fuller-Fedorczyk lab.mef <@t> smmc.org
Thu Apr 17 07:34:31 CDT 2008

For snap freezing muscle biopsies to send on dry ice we use a 100% Alcohol
or Acetone mixed with dry ice slurry.
1. Wrap dry ice pellets in a towel, pulverize the dry ice with a hammer than
pour the powder dry ice into a 200 ml beaker.
2. Slowly add 100% alcohol and stir the mixture. At least 80% of the total
volume of the slurry should consist of dry ice and only 20% alcohol. (
Acetone can replace 100% alcohol in the slurry)
3.When the slurry stops bubbling, the temperature has fallen to around -70C,
it is then suitable for flash freezing. Keep adding dry ice as needed to
reach this point. The final product should resemble a "snowcone".
4. Hold the biopsy specimen with forceps, and plunge tissue into the slurry
quickly. Swirl the specimen in the slurry for 10-15 seconds, remove and
quickly blot dry with an absorbent towel to remove excess alcohol.
Immediately place tissue in a pre frozen specimen container that has
prechilled on dry ice. A well frozen specimen should have a white chalky
color.
5. Place cover on container. (puncture lid prior to allow excess alcohol to
evaporate.)
6. Ship away on dry ice or store in a freezer that goes down to -70 C. We
have a Jewitt freezer.

Hope this helps you. It is a inexpensive alternative. Credit goes to Mayo
Medical Services where this system is recommended for shipping to them.