[Histonet] Salary / Temp positions

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 11 07:24:42 CDT 2008

There are 2 routes to take the ASCP HT exam.

Route 1: Successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Histotechnician
program within the last 5 years prior to the date of application for
examination; or

Route 2: Associate degree or at least 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours)
of academic credit from a regionally accredited college/university, with a
combination of 12 semester hours (18 quarter hours) of biology and
chemistry, AND one year full time acceptable experience in histopathology in
the U.S., Canada or a CAP/The Joint Commission (JCAHO)/AABB accredited
laboratory within the last ten years under the supervision of a pathologist
(certified by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology), or an
appropriately board certified medical scientist.

So, if you notice, Route 2 is the on-the-job training route (OJT) that DOES
require an associate degree or 60 semester hours.

However, Route 1 is through a NAACLS HT program. ASCP does not require any
degree or classes to take the HT exam via this route.

However, if you were to look at the NAACLS requirements for accreditation of
a HT program, the  minimum requirement is completion of high school and the
person must have taken (minimum) 1 biology, 1 chemistry and 1 math course,
sometime in high school or college, before entering the HT program.

Now, every HT NAACLS program can set their own standards, as long as they
meet the NAACLS requirements or are higher. For example, my HT program
requires an associate degree, with anatomy, physiology, microbiology, 2
chemistry, and intermediate college algebra as my minimum. I am affiliated
with several community colleges, so the students earn 12-15 college credits
while attending my program, which show up on the transcript along with the
grade they earn in my program, which gets figured into their GPA. For these
affiliated colleges, the associate degree in HT also requires the students
to take technical writing, medical terminology, medical law/ethics. If I
don't fill my class with students from my affiliates, then I go to people
with associate degrees from other institutions who meet my minimum.

Other NAACLS HT program will take people with HS diploma (with the
bio/chem/math), or some college (with the bio/chem/math), or a full
associate degree (with the bio/chem/math). Some will require additional
classes.

So, in the case of Indiana U, I believe they will take someone with a HS
diploma, with a bio, chem and math classes from HS, and accept them into the
program. Once they successfully complete the IU program, they can sit for
the ASCP HT exam via Route 1.

There are several HT distance learning programs out there, that you might
want to check into for yourself or for other people in your lab that want to
take the ASCP HT exam, and either don't qualify now, or need some additional
help studying. I don't know the "minimum requirements" for these NAACLS
programs. You would have to check them out yourself.

Indiana University School of Medicine
Coleman Hall, Room 322
1140 West Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN  46202-5113
Ms. Debra Wood BS, HT(ASCP)
(317) 491 6410

Harford Community College
Allied Health Department
401 Thomas Run Road
Bel Air, MD  21014
Ms. Anne Marie McCauley, RN, BS
410) 836-4389

University of North Dakota
School of Medicine & Health Sciences - Dept. of Pathology
PO Box 9037
Grand Forks, ND  58202
Ms. Ruth Paur, MS, MT(ASCP), CLS(NCA)
701) 777-2651

Columbus State Community College
550 East Spring Street
Columbus, OH  43215-0965
Ms. Peggy Mayo, MEd, MLT(ASCP)
614) 287-2608

And there is one in Florida, but I don't remember which of the 2 NAACLS HT
Florida program has the distance learning. Sorry. Maybe someone can chime in
and let us know.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Schools of Histotechnology
William Beaumont Hospital