[Histonet] F4/80

rschoon <@t> email.unc.edu rschoon <@t> email.unc.edu
Thu Apr 3 06:21:10 CDT 2008

F4/80 is a RAT specific marker for activated macrophages so I am not to
surprised that nothing is staining in the mouse tissues.  I've used
this antibody with great success on rat in the past.  Suggest that you
search the web maybe stating here:

Activated microglia in cortex of mouse models of mucopolysaccharidoses
I and IIIB Kazuhiro Ohmi*,, David S. Greenberg*,, Kavitha S. Rajavel*,
Sergey Ryazantsev*, Hong Hua Li*, and Elizabeth F. Neufeld*,,§,¶ *
Department of Biological Chemistry and  Brain Research Institute, David
Geffen School of Medicine, and § Molecular Biology Institute,
University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095

Contributed by Elizabeth F. Neufeld, December 20, 2002

-N-Acetylglucosaminidase deficiency (mucopolysaccharidosis IIIB, MPS
IIIB) and -L-iduronidase deficiency (MPS I) are heritable lysosomal
storage diseases; neurodegeneration is prominent in MPS IIIB and in
severe cases of MPS I. We have obtained morphologic and molecular
evidence for the involvement of microglia in brain pathology of mouse
models of the two diseases. In the cortex, a subset of microglia
(sometimes perineuronal) consists of cells that are probably
phagocytic; they have large storage vacuoles, react with MOMA-2
(monoclonal antibody against macrophages) and Griffonia simplicifolia
isolectin IB4, and stain intensely for the lysosomal proteins Lamp-1,
Lamp-2, and cathepsin D as well as for GM3 ganglioside. MOMA-2-positive
cells appear at 1 and 6 months in MPS IIIB and MPS I mice,
respectively, but though their number increases with age, they remain
sparse. However, a profusion of cells carrying the macrophage
CD68/macrosialin antigen appear in the cortex of both mouse models at 1
month. mRNA encoding CD68/macrosialin also increases at that time, as
shown by microarray and Northern blot analyses. Ten other transcripts
elevated in both mouse models are associated with macrophage functions,
including complement C4, the three subunits of complement C1q, lysozyme
M, cathepsins S and Z, cytochrome b558 small subunit,
macrophage-specific protein 1, and DAP12. An increase in IFN- and IFN-
receptor was observed by immunohistochemistry. These functional
increases may represent activation of resident microglia, an influx and
activation of blood monocytes, or both. They show an inflammatory
component of brain disease in the two MPS, as is known for many
neurodegenerative disorders.

Robert Schoonhoven
Scientist, Pathology
MPI Research
K.O. and D.S.G. contributed equally to this work.

"Dear colleagues,
is anybody there who has experiences with a F4/80 antibody? It is
supposed to label "activated" microglia. Unfortunatly I don't get a
specific staining in mice.
Does anyone have an idea?
Thanks a lot,

F. Neff"