[Histonet] Ohh the pain (replacing formalin)

Della Speranza, Vinnie dellav <@t> musc.edu
Wed Sep 26 16:21:47 CDT 2007

Hi Doug,
It probably wouldn't be fair to say formalin substitutes are "inferior"
but they will for the most part be different. If you are looking for
something that behaves exactly like formalin and gives the same
morphologic and immunostaining results, you may want to keep a bottle of
ibuprofen near by as you begin your search. If such a thing existed we'd
all be using it.

Vinnie Della Speranza
Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
165 Ashley Avenue  Suite 309
Charleston, South Carolina 29425
Tel: (843) 792-6353
Fax: (843) 792-8974

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Douglas
D Deltour
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:37 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Ohh the pain (replacing formalin)

I have found a suitable replacement for xylene but that is the easy
part.

I now have been directed to start looking for a formalin substitute. I
am
not aware of anyone that actually uses the stuff (probably for good
reason).
Does anyone know of or have any experience with these alternative
(inferior)
products? Does anyone have any experience with the validation (headache)
required to actually replace formalin? I can hardly wait. Thanks.

Douglas D. Deltour HT(ASCP)

Histology Manager

Professional Pathology Services, PC

One Science Court

Suite 200

Columbia, SC 29203

Office (803)252-1913

Fax (803)254-3262

Doug <@t> ppspath.com

PROFESSIONAL PATHOLOGY SERVICES, PC
NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the
reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that
any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited by law. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify me immediately.