[Histonet] Embedding polyurethane

Boneslides <@t> aol.com Boneslides <@t> aol.com
Wed Sep 26 13:26:08 CDT 2007

Hello Histonetters!!

Does anyone know if hexane can be used in place of acetone?  I have a  series
of orthopedic specimens that contain a polyurethane implant that the
researcher wants embedded in Spurr's and then rough cut and ground.  I  used my usual
protocol, but the acetone caused the polyurethane to swell.   The company did
some research and was told that hexane could work and possibly  something
called IPA, as these are both considered non-solvents for  polyurethane.  I am
not familiar with either of these substances.  Any  one have any insight??

Any help would be much appreciated!

~Diane

Diane M.  Mahovlic, HT, MLT(ASCP)
Orthopedic Pathology & Biomaterials  Laboratory
Department of Anatomic Pathology
The Cleveland Clinic  Foundation

9500 Euclid Avenue- L30
Cleveland, Ohio  44195