[Histonet] Re: negative controls

godsgalnow <@t> aol.com godsgalnow <@t> aol.com
Tue Sep 18 14:48:12 CDT 2007

>From the CAP checklist.....
In general, a separate negative reagent control should be run for each block of patient tissue being immunostained; however, for cases in which there is simultaneous staining of multiple blocks from the same specimen with the same antibody (e.g., cytokeratin staining of multiple axillary sentinel lymph nodes), performing a single negative control on one of the blocks may be sufficient provided that all such blocks are fixed and processed identically.? This exception does not apply to stains on different types of tissues or those using different antigen retrieval protocols or antibody detection systems.? The laboratory director must determine which cases will have only one negative reagent control, and this must be specified in the department's procedure manual

We interpret this to mean, since all of the blocks that we run IHC on are from the same specimen, the prostate, and they are getting the same IHC? antibody, PIN-4, we run one negative per patient and one positive per batch and one positive control used as a neagtive as well.

Roxanne

-----Original Message-----
From: Amos Brooks <amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com>
To: godsgalnow <@t> aol.com <godsgalnow <@t> aol.com>
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:40 pm
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Re: negative controls

Roxanne,

?? Is there any possibility that the multiple cores are from different parts of the prostate that may have metastasises from other places like kidney & liver?
?? Ultimately you can do this how you like. It is just important to know the limitations of your testing and be aware that this can bite you in the a$$ later on.

Just my $0.02
Amos