[Histonet] Histotech vacancies

Morken, Tim tim.morken <@t> thermofisher.com
Thu Sep 13 16:48:41 CDT 2007

The online courses should be much more helpful than studying alone. Most
of us spent hundreds of hours poring through books on our own since
there are few formal courses available (and was long before an
"internet" was around). I was lucky enough to have 3 other people around
who wanted to get their HT/HTL and we had a study group going weekly for
a solid year before we took the exam. Most labs don't do everything
presented on the test and a formal course will be sure they get that
theory in a well-structured way. Of course the lab work is a must to put
it all in practice.

Tim Morken
Technical Support Manager
Anatomical Pathology, Lab Vision Products
ThermoFisher Scientific

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Joe
Nocito
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:23 PM
To: Mindy Johnson; 'Vickroy, Jim'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Histotech vacancies

on line courses can work if the clinical sites do what they are supposed
to do. For instance, at my last place of employment, students were
cutting embedded blocks on day 2. I would process some extra tissue and
let the students embed and cut. (day 1 was safety, trip around the lab,
ect.), by week 5, they were cutting 1 slide surgical and doing all the
special stains.
Now, this was for the CC program here in San Antonio, but, my students
were reporting back to me that their classmates haven't sat down at a
microtome.
So, the moral of the story is that on line programs are only as good as
the clinical sites. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

JTT