[Histonet] Re: Gloves

Laurie Popp laurie <@t> conxis.com
Sat Sep 8 09:30:13 CDT 2007

Hi All,

I just graduated from a Nccls program through Mayo/UND and we were not
taught to cut wearing gloves,  in fact there is only one tech in the lab
that consistently wears gloves while cutting and she came to us from the
enzyme histochemistry lab so she couldn't get used to not wearing
gloves.  As far as the mesh gloves, we have those also and are supposed
to wear them whenever changing/handling blades per our safety officer
because right after I started there was a rash of people cutting
themselves.  Ironically enough they are cut resistant but not cut proof
because someone actually did cut themselves while wearing them.  Only
time I personally wear them is if I am cutting a known/ suspected prion
case or if I have managed to gain a paper cut and am trying to keep my
hands clean otherwise I find the static from the gloves to be annoying.

Laurie Popp
Mayo Clinic Rochester