[Histonet] Freezing mouse testes for frozen sections

Sarah Clatterbuck Soper soper <@t> ciwemb.edu
Wed Sep 5 15:13:36 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I've started attempting to section unfixed frozen mouse testes in order
to placate a specific antibody we have to use.  I am new to frozen
sections and I'm having trouble with the testes cracking when I freeze
them.  I've tried both freezing in isopentane cooled on liquid nitrogen
and an acetone/dry ice slurry.  Either way the testes crack, usually one
big crack end to end.  Doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with our
mutant testes, which are about 1/3 the size of wild-type.  I wish I
could just trim the wild-type down to a smaller size, but obviously
that's not an option!

Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!

Sarah