[Histonet] curious about soaking paraffin blocks.

Kim Merriam kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 10:23:10 CDT 2007

Anna,

It has been my experience that most tissues are OK if soaked for a long time; but some tissues (especially fatty ones, like brain) will swell (a lot!)  when soaked for an extended period of time.

Just be careful!

Kim

Kim Merriam, MA, HT(ASCP)
Cambridge, MA

----- Original Message ----
From: Anna K. Schultz <as3323 <@t> columbia.edu>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:05:37 AM
Subject: [Histonet] curious about soaking paraffin blocks.

Greetings All,
  I remember reading on here/archives that paraffin blocks should not be
soaked or kept on ice for too long--what is the reasoning behind this?
I am just plain curious and still fairly new to the field.  I often
leave blocks on for a long time and this seems to help or at least not hurt.

Thanks,
Anna
--
Anna K. Schultz