[Histonet] Ventana Benchmark

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Thu Oct 18 17:40:26 CDT 2007

my last place of employment has 3 XTs. It is my experience that it is hit or
miss with these machines. The first machine has been breaking down ever
since it was purchased. The other two have had a hiccup or two, but have
been ok. I have complained (here and to Ventana) about the situation. When
do you consider the machine a total loss and replace it? I have a 1991 Ford
pick up that I keep thowing money into to it, but it doesn't handle patient
specimens. I raised a stink so bad that some regional manager came down and
promised me the world. As far as I know, that machine has been repaired
several times after I left.
    I do have to give Ventana credit on one thing- they do try to get a
service rep out as fast as they can. The problem is either they don't have
enough service reps, their machines constantly break down, or both.  Not to
mention their prices are pretty steep.
    One has to look a bit past the purchase and research the entire company
and product. Are they available for tech questions? Do you talk to a real
person or have to leave a message and they'll get back with later, or
tomorrow? Is your machine always breaking down for one thing or another?
What happens if your machine is down for a while? Can you get a loaner? Are
you getting lip service or is the company really trying to work with you?
    Like others have said, there are pros and cons for every machine and you
can make some up your own. Try to test as many machines as you can, but also
test the company and make sure that they can deliver what they say they can.
One other thing, carefully review all contracts before signing, twice. If
you have the availability to take the contract to a medical-legal office or
someone else, please do.

Joe